Friday, December 08, 2006

LONG TIME, NO SEEN

What has this girl been doing these past four weeks?

CHRISTMAS CARDS AND SCHOOL FUNCTIONS

When it comes to things done at work we, Kathrine and I, have visited schools for making Christmas cards, putting the cards in envelopes and attach on their nametags and stamps, and send them off to the Norwegian sponsors… This we used a couple of weeks to do. Our part, when at the schools, was mainly highlighting the names of those who handed in cards so we could see who was missing.

Pictures: Eager pupils making/drawing on cards and others (at the window) that wanted to see what was going


We have also participated in something called Scripture Union at schools, and filed more reports. More precise on the latter matter, trying to find the reg.nr. for the children handed in reports; the teachers/volunteers had forgot to put it on the reports… The work is quite time consuming. And I’m still not finished.

This last week we have participated at two school functions; last day of school. There are speeches and performances. The children are dancing, singing, and performing poems for the parents that have met up at the school. Unlike Norway on these functions, the children’s only participating is when they perform; otherwise they just sit outside or rehearse for their turn coming up. It might have something to do with space, but I found it a bit odd that they didn’t have the opportunity to enjoy their fellow pupils’ performances.

At Birimbi Model Primary School:



At Bushenyi Parents’ School:



BUSY WEEKENDS

The three past weekends we’ve been quite busy. First weekend we went to Kampala to meet up with some of the other Norwegians placed in the country. It was really nice to meet some of the others and share some experiences.

The 25th of November we arranged a Christmas party, together with a friend of ours, at a school for the disadvantaged. The party was held for those who boarder. They are about the ages of 6-15. We played with them, made food, and gave them some small presents; which included some candy, writing books, a couple of colour pencils and a card. I don’t know if it was the kids or us arranging it that had the best time… I really enjoyed the time there, and seeing all the happy/smiling faces really made me glad!

Jumping rope…


The blind boy is keeper on football. I actually think that he rescued this ball… I’m amazed over how well he functioned without any things to help him… And his smile; fantastic!



Hope and Elias were at great help with preparing the food. They made it all!



RWANDA HERE WE COME!

Last weekend we went to Kigali, Rwanda, together with the four placed in Kampala. They came and visited us here before we continued together to Kigali. Kigali was a really nice town. So clean, many nice buildings, and a nice private park.


From a church we visited. Showing some of the horrors from the genocide 1994


and a memorial. You keep hearing about the genocide, but to beIt was very interesting and touching to visit a church were the 10 000 that hid in were killed, where things had happened gave me a surreal feeling, but also (hopefully) some more knowledge and understanding. I really can’t believe that it could happen. That nobody stopped it. You know; all the soldiers that were put there to get out all the internationals (people from the west), could probably have put an end to it… So “why and how could this happen?” I, like many others, keep asking. I know that I will never really understand what has happened in this country, but with just the little I’ve understood about it I keep asking… WHY? HOW?
Picture shows marks from granade splinters...

We also had to have a look at the hotel where many hid out and rescued their lives during the genocide, thanks to a brave hotel director. You may know it from the movie; “Hotel Rwanda”



“When they said never again after holocaust, didn’t that include us?”
(I’ve tried to quote one of the “statements” I found inside the memorial.)


IT’S DECEMBER



We are now approaching Christmas very quickly. I’m really looking forward to it. Yes, it will be strange to celebrate it without my family, but I hope and think it will be a nice time here as well.

A song to contemplate on (I’m sorry I don’t have the name of the ones that have written the lyric);


Do They See?”

1.
Is the face that I see in the mirror,
the one I want others to see?
Do I show in the way that I walk in my life,
the love that You’ve given to me.
My hearts desire’s to be like You,
In all that I do all I am

Chorus::
Do the see Jesus in me?
Do they recognize Your face?
Do I communicate Your love, and Your grace?
Do I reflect who You are,
in the way I choose to be?
Do they see Jesus in me?

2.
It’s amazing that You’d ever use me,
But use me the way You will.
Help me to hold the heart of compassion and grace,
a heart that Your spirit fills.
May I show forgiveness and mercy,
the same way You’ve shown in to me.

Chorus.
Do they see Jesus in me?
Do they recognize Your face?
Do I communicate Your love, and Your grace?
Do I reflect who You are,
in the way I choose to be?
Do they see Jesus in me?

Bridge:
I wanna show the world that You are;
the reason I live and breathe;
so You’ll be the one that they see,
when they see me.

Chorus
Do the see Jesus in me?
Do they recognize Your face?
Do I communicate Your love, and Your grace?
Do I reflect who You are,
in the way I choose to be?
Do they see Jesus in me?

“A small peace of Uganda”

1 Comments:

Blogger Silje said...

Hi!!
Kjekt à lesa om ka du drive me:)
Det virka spennande à ver à se i Rwanda, men sikkert og veldig speseilt. Det e ufatelig ka sà skjedde. Huff.

Vil og oenske deg en viedere super juelforberedelse.
Klem

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home