Thursday, April 19, 2007

THE LAST WEEK.

Our last week is now about to end, and we have started to say good bye to people. Monday it was the prison. I played a lot with the two children whose mothers are prisoners. Finally the children are not afraid of me any more. It was so good to hear their laughter. I also played some ball with some of the girls there about my age.

Still in the prison I walked past one of the dorms and heard a baby cry… I opened the door… No mother was nearby so I ended up taking up the baby. The baby was so cute and tiny. I guessed it couldn’t be more that about a week. Where is the mother? A girl at the age of 20 came and it turned out that it was hers, so I gave it back to her. After words I learnt that the mother was put in prison because she had dumped her baby in a pit latrine. I could even read about it in on of the national newspapers that same day. I was shocked. What make you do such a thing? I just wanted to take the baby with me and give her all the love and care she might not be given… Some of the stories from the prison are so sad and unbelievable.

Children painting on our last day at BMC

Tuesday we went to BMC as usual. We did as usual and about 5 children were there enjoying drawing, painting etc. Now almost all the walls (in the room we were) are filled up with their work. One of the nurses told us that children actually were looking forward to come to BMC now, because of our work there. We’ll leave some materials for them, and I really hope that they can keep it going at least for a little while. The children there really deserve it.

Walls filled up with pictures at BMC…


Ruhandagazi closed for the term yesterday so we also went there to say goodbye to the children at Tuesday. It was a bit hard to see some of the faces as we told them that we had come for good byes. I don’t think we always can now how much impression/impact we can have in a persons’ life… But it’s also nice to know that we actually have made a difference by being there although it doesn’t always feels like it…


Yesterday we made food for the people at the office at West Ancole Diocese. We made them Norwegian rice porridge (“risengrynsgrøt”) and waffles. The waffles were a big success. :) At the picture you can see me making the porridge. We had no power in our house, so I had to make it on our kerosene cooker.

Katherine ready to serve

And some enjoying the food while working...


I must admit that I feel ready to go home to Norway now, but there are also some people I’m going to miss here. Thank you for making my stay better by being here…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home